Wednesday, November 11, 2009

BP14_2009113_Peer Response to Larry Harris


Larry said: Classtools.net

This Web 2.0 allows users to create, customize, and share video games as study tools for academic content. The tutorial you find upon entering the site is very clear and thorough. There are many template options, and once the content data is entered, students can choose from a variety of games to review the material. It also has other study tools that can easily be created to fit any content. Among those are Venn Diagrams, flash card creators, and a source evaluator. These are just three of the nineteen template possibilities. The source evaluator really strikes me as timely. As I have mentioned in previous blog entries, the skill of source evaluation is critical for learners in the information age.

The site also provides users with an embed code to embed in websites, blogs, and social networks. All the items created at this site are flash files, so they can be used in Smartboard notebook software.

The educational uses are obvious and some go beyond rote rehearsal to include evaluative and analytical cognitive domains. Students could also be tasked with creating games to support any content area and operate in the domain of synthesis. This has been a GREAT find that I will start using immediately by embedding vocabulary practice games in my classroom webpage (embedded above for you to try). I will be sharing this site with my colleagues at work as well. Many of us use Smartboards. Classtools.net’s compatibility with Smartboard software makes this a Web 2.0 tool that can be implemented in the classroom as independent work, small group work, and even whole group instruction.

Carrie Kleber said...
I just finished playing one of the games you set up on Classtools and I had a blast (literally). I am constantly looking for a way to incorporate games into vocabulary practice. I know my students would have a great time with this site, and based on your comments Larry, it sounds like it isn't to difficult to set up. I'm also thinking this would be a great enrichment activity. When student have complete all of their other work for class they could get on Classtools and practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment