Saturday, November 7, 2009

BP9_2009112_Web 2.0 Xtranormal


Xtranormal

There are so many Web 2.0 tools and applications available, it can be overwhelming finding tools that will work in the classroom. However, after sifting through the numerous Web 2.0 choices, I discovered an application I am excited to use in my classroom.

Xtranormal is a text to video program that can help students think critically about writing. Basically, the program allows the user to type a script for one or two people, and then the site animates the text. When the program starts it allows the user to choose the number of characters in the movie (one or two), the way the characters will look, and the setting of the movie. After the basics have been chosen, the user can then go on to type the script, choose camera angles, change character voices, and determine different types of animation for the film.

The educational benefits of this program are far reaching. Xtranormal forces the user to think about the script they are writing. What is the purpose of the movie? Who will be viewing the final product? How will the users know they have accomplished their goal for the film? These are questions I would hope my students would think about when they are writing.

Other educational benefits of Xtranormal could extend beyond Language Arts. Social Studies teachers might use the program to have students explain a famous historical figure. Math teachers could have students create a film that explains how to solve a specific math problem. Science teachers could use the program to have students explain different types of rocks. The possibilities are endless.

6 comments:

  1. Carrie I saw this site when we were thinking about our Ning site in Dr. Deason's class. I think using it in the way that you described would be helpful for writers.

    I was thinking of using it in my video class to introduce animation and basic script writing as well as shot selection. You can change how viewers see the characters and add gestures.

    I am glad you found it useful as well. Adding in dimensions like purpose and audience makes it useful across the curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie this looks like a great site for older kids. I wonder if it is something that would work for me if I paired my kindergarten students up with older kids, maybe our 4th grade reading buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie,

    Based on you review of Xtranormal I will check it out as a possible tool for my classes. I teach Video Graphics and it sounds like a program my students would like. I am also looking for ways to incorporate more writing in my curriculum and it sounds like Xtranormal would provide that opportunity as well.

    Sheryl Floyd also commented that she might use it in her Video class. This is all the more reason why I am going to check it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie,

    I saw your post on Chuck's site and thought it was great! I will try it with my more advanced students.

    Thanks for the great find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie,

    What a neat Web. 20 tool. I think I could use this in my 2nd grade classroom with my higher level students. I really think this tool could be an awesome asset. Can't wait to try it out and share with my colleagues. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie:

    xtranormal (located at http://www.xtranormal.com/) is a very promising and whimsical tool for budding moviemakers. With it, a student’s vision of a scene or collection of scenes can be created, viewed, and shared on YouTube. I tried making a short movie myself, but as my internet is somewhat slow, I found the process a little frustrating. After all, I already knew what my little project should look like, and getting this Web 2.0 tool to do what I knew it should do had me muttering my favorite prayer, “Oh Lord give me patience, and give it to me NOW!”

    As I struggled through the learning curve, I began to wonder how I would be able to manage to create a video of any length in any reasonable amount of time. At the same time I wondered where the Web 2.0 aspect of this program lived since it seemed as if I could only work under a personal account. But then it hit me! Since the characters, scenes, and camera angles are all standard and available on the Web, a movie project is supposed to be broken into pieces and the members of the movie team work on their small bits to assemble back later for a finished project. A project team of five students should then be able to realize the group’s vision in one fifth the time! And since my little ten second movie rendered in about five minutes, a group should be able to make a one-minute commercial within a single class period (should of course the internet-powers be cooperative).

    A small blur in my otherwise clear vision became noticeable after I rendered my first “take”. The scene I shot seems to end up as a YouTube file. However, YouTube segments are not currently directly importable into iMovie or GarageBand. Bummer! Either this is a significant oversight, or I haven’t worked enough with the application to know how to do what needs to be done the way it needs to be done. With a $15 program I have called VideoBox (available from http://download.tastyapps.com/videobox_2.8.6.zip) I can convert the YouTube file generated by xtranormal into a quicktime movie segment that is then available to iMovie or Garageband. This of course is supposed to make my vision clear again, but now I find myself misting up at the loss of the opportunity to make this all work for free! Sniff! Sniff!

    Thanks Carrie for finding this!

    ReplyDelete