Monday, November 2, 2009

BP4_2009112_Web 2.0 On the Road



On the Road

There are so many amazing Web 2.0 tools available, with so many possibilities for educational purposes. As a Language Arts teacher, I am always on the lookout for tools that can enhance lessons or units. While I was browsing through a list of Web 2.0 tools, I came across one titled On the Road. A brief description of On the Road stated that the site permits the user to create travel books. Just those words alone sparked my interest and had me thinking of ways I might use a tool like this with my class.

Of course I decided to visit On the Road and while there discover it would fit perfectly with one of my Language Arts units. On the Road allows you to document trips like vacations. It has an interactive map where dots can be placed to show where you have been, for example cities or landmarks. Then you can add text and multimedia to go with each location.

The On the Road site made me think of one specific way I could use this site for educational purposes. My class works on a unit that focuses on the Dust Bowl. This is a research project that involves tracking the migration of people who moved west, finding images that represent different aspects of the dust bowl, and creating a diary written from the perspective of someone who had been in the Dust Bowl. Even though the On the Road site was created for current trips, it could be used to create an interactive map/journal of Dust Bowl research. The students could use the map to track the movement of Dust Bowl refugees. On each dot stop, students could use the text feature to write their journal entry. Each stop allows you to set the date, so the students could choose a date that would reflect the Dust Bowl. Then with the multimedia function, students could upload the images they had found that coincided with the journal entry.

Students already enjoy the Dust Bowl project, but I believe I will get even more buy-in from students by adding the Web 2.0 aspect to the project. Not only does On the Road allow them to use the Internet for their project, but it also has a comment section, so I, the teacher, can give feedback. Not only could I give feedback, but other classmates could also add comments.

I am already looking forward to the Dust Bowl project and cannot wait to add On the Road to the unit.

Image Reference

On the Road. (2007-2009). Retrieved November 2, 2009, from http://www.ontheroad.to/

1 comment: