Saturday, November 7, 2009

BP7_2009112_Web 2.0 Tools Pikikids


Pikikids

Sometimes it feels as though my curriculum gets monotonous, and at those moments I need an activity or a lesson that can spice up the day. Being able to turn to a Web 2.0 tool at this moment is invaluable. Knowing that I have these days, I took time to ensure I found at least one Web 2.0 tool which would give my students and I break, but at the same time, still have educational benefits. What I found was Pikikids.

Pikikids allows the user to create comics online. It is similar to ComicLife, except its target audience is kids and it is free. After you have registered for the site (all you need is a user name, password, and email address) you can begin creating a comic. There are several layouts you can choose from for the comic. Once you choose the layout, you begin to add pictures and thought bubbles to the comic. Pikikids allows you to search for pictures from Flickr directly from its site. When you are pleased with your comic, you can save and publish.

Obviously comics can be a fun, laid-back activity for the students, but what are the educational benefits of a comic? A comic can be used to get the students to synthesize information. After students have read a passage from any book, either a novel or a textbook, they can show they understood the material by turning it into a comic. Students could also use the comic format to create a storyboard for a paper they are writing.

Sometime you just have to step back and allow the students to breath.

2 comments:

  1. Carrie,
    This looks like a great site to use with students. I know that your students are older than mine, but I think I might be able to adapt it in some way or use it with peer helpers. I think that anything you can use to motivate kids to write in any way is a fantastic tool. I am focusing on writing so much this year with my students that I love any new ideas to use with them. I like your idea about using the comic to summarize their learning. Again, using a creative method to do something like this will not only motivate your students, but challenge them in new ways. Great site!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie,

    I have a second grade ESE student who will absolutely love this tool. Up until a year ago getting him to put two words of any kind on a paper was near impossible. He teacher inadvertently introduced comic strips and he took the concept and ran with it. Getting him to not only write, but complete any and all of his assignments is now tied to the contingent that he gets to complete a comic strip at the end of the day. This fantastic tool will provide him with increased resources for art work/ideas. I was so excited after I checked it out I emailed his teacher and forwarded her the tools information. Roberto, his teacher and I all thank you for finding and sharing this great tool.
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete